Mandatory HIV / AIDS Curriculum
California state law requires that HIV/AIDS prevention education is taught in middle school and in high school. If comprehensive sexual health education is taught, the District shall follow state laws (California Education Code Section 51933). The District may not pick and choose topics to teach.
HIV/AIDS prevention instruction includes:
- Information on HIV/AIDS and how it affects the body.
- How HIV is and is not spread.
- Discussion of ways to lower the risk of HIV, including:
- Sexual abstinence and the latest medical information on ways to prevent sexually transmitted HIV infection.
- Discussion of the public health issues related to HIV/AIDS.
- Places for HIV testing and medical care.
- Making good decisions and staying away from risky activities.
- Discussion about society’s views on HIV/AIDS, and people with HIV/AIDS.
You can examine instructional materials for this unit of instruction at the main office of your son or daughter’s high school.
If you have questions, please see the teacher or principal. State law allows you to remove your student from comprehensive sexual health education and HIV/AIDS prevention education. If you do not want your student to participate in the comprehensive sexual health or HIV/AIDS prevention instructional program, please return the Lesson Withdrawal Form that follows this letter to your student’s biology course teacher by April 11th, 2014. If this letter is not returned, your child will be included in the instruction.
The goal of a comprehensive sexual health education program is to help students learn the facts and to make good decisions now, and later in life.
%_- - - - - - - - - %- - - - - - - - - %- - - - - - - - - %- - - - - - - - - %- - -
HIV/AIDS Passive Consent Notification
HIV/AIDS Lesson Withdrawal Form
By returning this form, I do not give permission for my child to take part in the HIV/AIDS prevention education unit.
(Please Print) My child’s name is:_______________________________________________
Student ID#:_____________________________ School:_______________________
Biology teacher’s name:_______________________________
Please return to your student’s biology course teacher by April 11th, 2014.